I've been asked, repeatedly, for a "Dummies' Guide to Sigils", so it occurs to me that now is the time to do a short write-up. We're on the cusp of a retrograde, so it can be a pretty good proof of concept. Whenever switches like this are to occur, there's a fair bit of palpable tension in the air, so its easier to make magic work.
For the moment, I'll focus on the process of using ones that have already been created by someone else...those are easy to find, and I've shared quite a few of them here.
A sigil, be it for a spirit or a goal, is an encapsulated intention, condensed into a physically apparent and readily accessible form. It's a statement of intent, the symbolic representation of what you are looking to change, and it also represents the duality of the situation itself: what is (0) and what will be (1).
It is a binary, so working with a sigil is a bit like turning on a light switch. It can be made more complicated than that, but it doesn't need to be.
Here's a way of turning on that switch. :)
- Get yourself seated and comfortable.
- Light a candle and place the sigil in front of it.
- Stare into that sigil and imagine that you're transferring that candle's light to the inside of the image in front of you.
- As you do so, imagine that this light that you've just switched on is showing you exactly what you want to see.
- Feel that desire you hold for the occurence of the goal you have in mind and feel those emotions switch from desire to fulfillment.
- Let the candle burn down.
- Shred of the sigil and toss it.
- Go have fun and do something entirely mundane.
It's not really difficult, but it does take a little bit of focus. This is a G-rated version of making this work for you, and there are more complicated, grandiose methodologies as well. As you play with this, you may find that there are subtle modifications you wish to make to your method. I highly recommend doing so, as sigil magic is an intensely personal art form.
This is just to get you started. Have fun & enjoy your weekend.