Hope your week is going well. As a continuation on my post on the whys of bettering oneself via magic, now we're going to talk about how one can go about doing so. While I won't be discussing specific rituals, herein, I intend to cover different foci that may be used to achieve the goal of self-improvement through magical work.
Human beings are rather diverse creatures with a great many needs that fall into different categories. Those needs should be met in accordance with their respective priorities. Abraham Maslow documented these needs and placed them in a hierarchical format, wherein at the bottom is one's basic needs, and at the top are the less important, more esoteric concerns:
As you can see, needs like air, food, water, shelter, etc. are at the bottom two levels of the pyramid used above. These are things that we each require in order to make more of ourselves down the road. Considering this, what do you need in order to provide nutritional food, clean water, clean, well-fitting clothing, and a home?
Simple! You'll need a job, a home, and a vehicle (or some form of transport). Thus, you can use magical work to obtain each of the above that can then be used to help you establish a working base of operations.
There are plenty of magical operations that can be used to obtain each. Humans have been writing about that for years and years and years, so with a bit of research and talent, they're readily achievable. In order to determine which workings to use, first you need to set foci that are easily definable:
- "I need a (full or part time) job (or two) with reasonable hours which pays enough and to spare so that I might achieve my goals."
- "I require accessible, affordable housing for myself (or 'my family')"
- "I need reliable, affordable transportation which I have the means of maintaining and operating."
Next up, relationships! Be they with friends, family, sexual partners, critters, spiits, or anyone else, we're social creatures and thus require some manner of positive interaction with others outside of ourselves. The sort of relationship that's important to you might vary, but we all need some manner of companionship before anything else really seems to matter on that front. Thus, I recommend focusing on friendships far before romantic relationships. Improving relationships with your family would be wise as well, as they can be a wonderful source of support for you.
I would not get too wrapped up in the idea that you 'need' a specific woman or man in your life, as that's frequently a good way to cause yourself undue stress. Instead, the following intentions work well for filling out your social needs:
- "I would like to meet like-minded people who challenge me to succeed."
- "I would like to engage in a romantic relationship with a compatible partner."
- "I would like to better my relationship with my relatives."
- "I seek to honor my ancestors."
You'll notice I do not the use the word 'need' in the four bullet points above. 'Need' is not relative, and these are 'wants' - they are not resources we require, by any means, and to treat them as such is a good way to screw yourself over. Instead, I recommend treating them as desires. That's a good way to better your life without shooting yourself in the foot down the road.
Continuing on, once love & a sense of belonging has been achieved, we're on to the more esoteric, less concrete aspects of our lives. Yes, they are just as important as the base needs that drive us, even if they are not requirements in and of themselves.
Thus, we may focus on spiritual growth, emotional understanding, connecting to our Higher Selves, understanding our Lower Selves, balancing the two, and so on and so forth. Here are some emphases you may elect to use:
- "I seek to understand what makes me tick."
- "I seek to nourish my mind."
- "I seek to nourish my soul."
- "I seek to connect with my Higher Self"
- "I seek knowledge of and communication with my Holy Guardian Angel."
- "I seek to connect with my Lower Self."
- "I seek to bridge the gap between my discarnate selves and this body I wear."
That isn't all of the potential working points, but its a good start.
More on this later. ;)
Digest away, and enjoy your day.