First, you need to take stock of what you're doing in your life. How many hours are you working? How does that compare to the number of available hours in your schedule? Do you work a salaried position, or are you billing at an hourly rate? These three questions set the stage for all that you do, as their answers define the what can and cannot become a reality. If you're salaried, working for extra hours isn't going to do much for you unless you can work overtime at your position and get paid time & a half. If you're working a part-time hourly gig & have an extra five to six hours a day that could be spent working, that means that you could potentially get a second job to create more wealth for yourself.
Once you have those answers, you'll know a bit more about how to aim your magick! From there, you can then begin to formulate spells meant to fulfill your goals and improve your life. You can pick herbs associated with a specific kind of change and then mix & match based on what you feel you need from life. To help inspire that process, here's a brief list of Useful Herbs:
- Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis) - This is a well-known magickal plant associated with creating and clearing harms inasmuch as its associated with journeying and visionary work. I like to use this in rituals to both clear the way and make obvious the magickal developments that I work towards, since it tends to hone the mind inasmuch as it can create positive change.
- Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla/Chamaemelum nobile) - This is an easing and smoothing herb that's tied very heavily to our internal set state and view of self. In medicine, its used as a bitterant and digestive aid that sooths the stomach, meaning that in medicine, it can make easier the process of growth. This herb can be used to create plentiful opportunities and abundance in equal measure, which makes it an understated but powerful addition to spells.
- Cinquefoil (Potentilla *) - Five Finger Grass is an old hoodoo/rootwork/conjure staple for a great number of traditions, and with good reason: its all about grabbing opportunity & actively pursuing opportunity. Use this if you need a boost in winning a gig.
- Lady's Mantle (Achemilla mollis/Alchemilla vulgaris) - This plant has been a folk remedy associated with magick for a looooong time. Its hardy as hell, and its often associated with collecting blessings and gains due to its shape. In medicine, it relieves feminine pains and it can be used after giving birth to heal the uterus; this makes it a feminine herb tied to female power & grace in equal measure, so if you're looking to create wealth as a woman, its a fantastic plant.
As a male, this changes and softens the attitude of the spellwork and can in turn be used to make yourself more approachable and less intimidating.
- Linden (Tilia cordata) - This plant is used to heal difficulties and work one's way through them, so if you're struggling really damned hard, this is a fantastic material to include. The plant spirit itself dislikes suffering and generally wishes to work with us to alleviate that discomfort, so if you add Linden to the mix, tell the spirit your woes and be honest about what you need and want. Don't hide a damn thing, as that transparency is necessary to this magick.
- Oak (Quercus *) - All varieties of Oak are hardy trees associated with growth and strength in equal measure. Using the bark or leaves of an Oak tree in your works can add resiliency to your step and create stability in your foundations. I recommend this as an ingredient when times are tough, as being able to stand unshaken is a powerful thing!
- Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) - This has long been considered a fertility herb, but in addition, its also a scent-marking plant. It smells so strongly that it can be used to hide one's faults and/or draw others in, so its fantastic for creating opportunities!
- Quassia (Quassia amara) - This is a drawing herb, plain and simple. Whatever it is that you seek, it can pull that to you and seek to integrate that magickal effect into your reality. It works by both drawing opportunity in and forcing/inspiring us to make the changes we need to make in order to create the realities we want to experience. Its very handy, but do use this mindfully....it doesn't need to go into the spellwork if you're not actively working to make those changes you feel you need to make!
- Sassafras (Sassafras albidum) - This was used to create the original Root Beers, meaning that it has an association with pleasure. It can be used to create OR protect pleasure, including the creation of wealth and gain. Its a strong plant that can be used to heal financial woes on top of this, so its all around a worthwhile addition to your magickal cupboard!
- Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) - A weed of a kind, this is used to treat infections, parasites, and epileptic seizures. It kills off harmful sources of trouble while also generally working towards our improvement and healing. This makes it a fantastic herb when others are working against you, so using it in spellwork when competition is fierce can give you an extra edge.
Its an aggressive herb, so don't use much of it when you do decide to work with it!
These ten herbs will get you started! There's more that you can do and more ingredients that have use in these ventures, but this should do to get your creative juices flowing. ;)
Have fun with this, and if you're struggling financially, be sure to get in on this giveaway I'm running. That'll be done next Thursday, so you've got a week to sign up!