For those of you who are unfamiliar with planetary magic & astrological effects, Mercury’s energy is one of intellectual growth, experimentation, discovery, and communication. It helps us to get to know others, work with them, and endeavor to overcome our limitations. There is, however, a flip side.
Mercury being the way it is, its negative effects can often manifest by causing issues in communicating with others, mercurial mood swings, instability through experimentation, paranoia, and deception. Hermes, a Paragon of this energetic concept, was known for being both a healer and a trickster, and as such its completely possible for this energy to drive you a little nuts. This doesn’t make Mercury bad or evil, but it should inform your actions and views to some extent.
Therewith, preparing oneself for the change in vibe is a wise plan. You should expect that folks might be impatient and aggressive when driving, expect a desire and tendency to argue, and expect that people won’t always understand what you say. Thus, you can drive defensively, speak respectfully, and carefully choose your words when interacting with others you care about. Magically, there are similar preparations one can adopt.
I recommend readying oneself in the following ways:
- Daily meditation before and during the retrograde. Use this time to process what you've heard, seen, discussed, and partaken in. This will help you prepare yourself for the next day and assist you in feeling both fresh & prepared.
- Do a bit of a luck work for yourself to smooth out the bumps.
- Make offerings to Mercurial spirits. These can be made directly to Hermes and company, or to entities like Taphthartharath with the express intention of winning them over and keeping them from screwing with you. If that doesn't work, banish Taphthartharath's influence.
- Create and bless a spray mix that you can use on yourself when you're feeling frustrated & bogged down. I recommend a mixture of holy water, spearmint, bay leaves, and citrus of some sort.
- Mix up an incense blend that smells pleasant to you, as that can be a trigger which drums up some good juju. Sandalwood, Benzoin, and Copal make a wonderful concoction here.
- Obstacle removal work is optional but helpful
- If you've got a bath tub and don't want to use the spray I mentioned above, making up a cleansing bath mix is a good option. Use mint of some sort, sage, hyssop and epsom salts.
- Protection work is usually a good plan as well
It might seem a bit over the top, but if MRs have been rough on you in the past, its smart to prepare for it. Then, you can use the time to your benefit. Every obstacle and hindrance can be a stepping stone, but that's something you must make them into.
According to Cafe Astrology's site, this retrograde will start on May 18th and end on June 11th. Good luck & let me know if I may be of further assistance.
Be well folks!