As most of you know, today is a day of rememberance. A decade and a half ago, something awful happened on 9/11, and each year since, I've made a point of setting out a slew of offerings for all those afflicted. It's one of those things that just feels appropriate.
I'm not here to talk about what happened then, but I am here to talk about offerings. Specifically, offerings made easy, as its one of those areas of magic that's either forgotten entirely, or folks are intimidated by the thought of doing it themselves.
Offerings are a "thank you" to those who have walked with you and made your life a little better. They can be made to people, places, spirits of place, critters, deities, and so forth, and their complexity is primarily a matter of taste (yours and theirs).
This aims to act as a simple how-to for the act:
- Procure a piece of paper, a pen, a candle, a candleholder, a stick of incense, an incense burner, some orange juice, and a cup.
- Say a prayer over each of these things to consecrate and purify them. It should be heartfelt, but need not be religious.
- Write a sincere note to the entity you are thanking. Sign it with your name. Place it onto your chosen altar.
- Light the stick of incense and call the entity's name aloud. Place it at the upper left corner of your note.
- Light the candle, call the entity's name aloud, and then place the candle in its holder, to the upper right corner of your note.
- Pour the orange juice into the glass, say the entity's name aloud, and then place the glass on the note.
- Close the rite with the words "Please enjoy these offerings which have been set out for me & then depart in peace."
After that, let the candle and incense burn down and then dispose of it in the trash. Then you may go back to your life having completed your first offering. ;)